Today's Date: Add To Favorites
EU Court: Downloaders Can Stay Private
International | 2008/01/29 06:56
Record labels and film studios cannot demand that telecom companies hand over the names and addresses of people suspected of breaking European copyright rules by swapping illegal downloads, the EU's top court ruled Tuesday. But European Union countries could — if they want to — introduce rules to oblige companies to hand over personal data in similar cases, the European Court of Justice said.

The court upheld Spanish telecom company Telefonica SA's right to refuse to hand over information that would identify who had used peer-to-peer file-sharing tool KaZaA to distribute copyrighted material owned by Promusicae, a Spanish nonprofit group of film and music producers.

EU law did not require governments to protect copyright by forcing companies to disclose personal data in civil legal actions, the Luxembourg-based court ruled.

They could draft national rules to change this but they will then have to balance the right to privacy against property rights and "cannot however affect the requirements of the protection of personal data," a court statement said.

The ruling "raises the question of the need to reconcile the requirements of the protection of different fundamental rights, namely the right to respect for private life on the one hand and the rights to protection of property and to an effective remedy on the other," the court said.

A Spanish court had asked the European court to give guidance on the case after Promusicae complained of Telefonica's refusal to hand over details identifying the people who used the computer addresses linked to the illegal downloads.

Telefonica claimed Spanish law only allows them to share personal data for criminal prosecutions or matters of public security and national defense.

Music industry group, the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry, said record labels would push on with their campaign against Internet piracy and the court had confirmed the need to have effective tools to tackle illegal copying.

"Copyright theft on the internet is the single biggest obstacle to the growth of the music business today," said IFPI head John Kennedy.

"The judgment means that music rights owners can still take civil actions to enforce their rights, and it has sent out a clear signal that member states have to get the right balance between privacy and enforcement of intellectual property rights and that intellectual property rights can neither be ignored nor neglected."

The European branch of the Motion Picture Association — which represents American film studios such as Universal, Walt Disney, Paramount and others — welcomed the ruling as balanced because the court had upheld copyright as a fundamental right alongside the right to privacy.

The MPA of America claimed in a 2005 study that U.S. film industry lost $6.1 billion to piracy worldwide that year, most of it outside the United States.

Millions of people use file sharing sites to download both legal and illegal copies of albums, films, TV episodes, computer programs and even books.

The music industry has largely shunned file sharing, preferring digital tools to restrict how songs can be copied and played.



European Court condemns France over gay adoption
International | 2008/01/24 08:38

The European Court of Human Rights has ruled that France discriminated against a lesbian woman by preventing her from adopting a child. The nursery school teacher, 45, has lived with the same female partner for nearly 20 years. But she was turned down by French authorities who stressed the absence of a father figure. In Strasbourg however, the European Court condemned France, which, like many other countries, does allow unmarried people to adopt.

A majority ruling, by 10 votes to seven, found that article 14 of the Human Rights Convention combined with article 8 had been violated. The French state was ordered to pay the woman 10,000 euros in damages.

Article 14 forbids discrimination. Article 8 provides for the right to respect for one's private and family life. This is a victory that could have an impact on gay adoption laws in countries across Europe.

That is because, from now on, France and all other member nations of the Council of Europe will no longer be able to refuse adoption to a single person because of their homosexuality.

However, adoption by gay couples remains illegal in France, unlike nine European countries where it is permitted - Germany, Belgium, Denmark, Spain, Iceland, Norway, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom and Sweden.

Spanish gay couples, for example, benefit from the same rights as heterosexual couples regarding their children, because, legally, they are their parents.

In France, where homosexual marriage is not allowed, adoption by a lesbian or gay person could now be possible.

But there remains the question of their partner's status. For, legally, the companion would have no rights over the child, not being recognized as his or her parent.



Fed rushes to the rescue, Europe tries to reassure
International | 2008/01/22 09:41
A shock U.S. interest rate cut failed to halt a stock market rout on Tuesday as fears of a U.S. recession forced policymakers in Europe and Japan to issue rapid reassurances about the health of their economies.

The Federal Reserve cut its key interest rate by three-quarters of a percentage point to 3.5 percent, its biggest in more than 23 years. But markets paused only momentarily before the selling wave renewed as investors seem fixated on the idea that the U.S. will drag the world economy down.

"Incoming information indicates a deepening of the housing contraction as well as some softening in labor markets," the Fed said. Canada's central bank cut too.

U.S. Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson said he was confident in the resilience of the U.S. and global economies and welcomed the Fed cut as a helpful move.

"This is very constructive and I think it shows this country and the rest of the world that our central bank is nimble and can move quickly in response to market conditions," Paulson said.

The White House, rushing to put together a $150 billion stimulus package to prop up an economy ravaged by a housing slump and a mortgage defaults crisis, declined immediate comment on the Fed cut.

President George W. Bush was set to meet members of Congress later in the day to discuss the economic rescue package.

Outside North America, politicians and central bankers said the market selloff looked excessive. But they had their work cut out to convince as people like billionaire investor George Soros, who said the world faced a financial crisis worse than any since World War Two.



Turkey Bans YouTube for Second Time
International | 2008/01/20 08:50
A Turkish court has again blocked access to the popular video-sharing Web site YouTube because of clips allegedly insulting the country's founding father, according to reports Sunday.

It was the second time Turkey banned the site because of clips deemed disrespectful to Mustafa Kemal Ataturk. It is illegal in Turkey to insult the revered figure, whose portrait still hangs in nearly all government offices nearly 70 years after his death.

Users trying to access the Web site from Turkey were met with notices in English and Turkish saying it was banned under an Ankara court order issued Jan. 17.

Last March, another court blocked access to YouTube for two days after a complaint that some clips insulted Ataturk, a war hero who founded Turkey from the ruins of the Ottoman Empire. The ban was lifted after YouTube removed the offending videos.

In September, a court in the eastern city of Sivas ordered a ban after saying video on the site insulted Ataturk, President Abdullah Gul, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan and the army, but the ban was never implemented.

Vatan newspaper reported Sunday that the current ban also was imposed because of videos that were allegedly disrespectful of Ataturk.

It was not clear how long the current ban would last. The state-run Anatolia said officials from YouTube, which is owned by Google, issued a statement saying the company hoped access would be re-established quickly.

The YouTube bans in Turkey have highlighted the country's troubled record on free expression. Several prominent Turkish journalists and writers — including Nobel literature prize winner Orhan Pamuk — have been tried for allegedly insulting "Turkishness."

Turkey is not alone in blocking YouTube. Last year, the Thai government banned the site for about four months because of clips seen as offensive to Thailand's revered monarch, King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

And in May, Moroccans were unable to access YouTube after users posted videos critical of Morocco's treatment of the people of Western Sahara, a territory that Morocco took control of in 1975. An official blamed a technical glitch, but could not explain its nature or why it affected only the YouTube site.



Former Mitsubishi President Found Guilty
International | 2008/01/17 05:09
A former Mitsubishi president was convicted of professional negligence Wednesday in a fatal head-on crash that followed a systematic cover-up of auto defects at the Japanese automaker.

Former Mitsubishi Motors Corp. President Katsuhiko Kawasoe, who had pleaded innocent, was sentenced to three years in prison suspended for five years, a Yokohama District Court official said on customary condition of anonymity. The suspended sentence means he won't have to serve time.

Kawasoe and three other company officials were suspected of failing to report defects although they knew the problems could cause serious accidents.

They were charged in 2004 with professional negligence resulting in death in a 2002 accident in southwestern Japan in which a driver died in a crash after the brakes failed on his Mitsubishi vehicle. A defective clutch system that was later recalled is suspected of causing the brake failure.

The three other officials were also found guilty but were given suspended sentences, the court official said.

Kawasoe, who became president in 1997, quit in disgrace in 2000 after acknowledging that the automaker had hidden defects for decades, many secretly repaired without recalls, despite reports of dozens of accidents.

The massive cover-up scandal stunned Japan when it surfaced in 2000. The sale of Mitsubishi Motors vehicles plunged, sending the Tokyo-based maker into losses for years.

For decades, Mitsubishi kept a two-tier record of driver complaints, tucking away defect reports in a locker that employees called "H," standing for the Japanese word for "secret."

Responsibilities were not defined and driver safety concerns were forgotten, according to a company report ordered in response to the scandal. When the concealed defects grew massive over the years, everyone was afraid to speak up, it said.

Mitsubishi apologized Wednesday to the family of the driver who died, and the company promised to do better.

"The entire company will continue to do its utmost to uphold corporate governance," it said in a statement.

The scandal has produced two other criminal trials.

In December last year, Yokohama District Court Two found two former Mitsubishi quality-control workers guilty of professional negligence in the death of a pedestrian crushed by a wheel falling off a truck.

That trial revolved around the January 2002 death of then 29-year-old Shiho Okamoto, a housewife, who was walking on a sidewalk with her two children when she was crushed to death by a wheel that rolled off a Mitsubishi truck. Her two boys were injured.

In another lawsuit, three former Mitsubishi officials, charged in Okamoto's accident, were acquitted in December 2006 of falsifying defect reports and failing to take proper recall measures. Among them was Takashi Usami, former chairman of Mitsubishi Fuso Truck & Bus Corp., the automaker's former truck unit.



Austria's Supreme Court Won't Accept Chimp As Person
International | 2008/01/15 01:05
Austria's Supreme Court has dashed hopes by animal rights activists to have a chimpanzee declared a person, a statement suggested Tuesday.

The court recently rejected a petition to appoint a trustee for the chimp, named Matthew Hiasl Pan, the Vienna-based Association Against Animal Factories said, and subsequently vowed to contact the European Court of Human Rights over the matter.

The court's decision follows in the footsteps of a similar ruling last fall. In September, a provincial judge in the city of Wiener Neustadt dismissed the case, ruling the Association Against Animal Factories has no legal standing to argue on the chimp's behalf.

The legal back and forth began in February, when the animal shelter where Pan and another chimp, Rosi, have lived for 25 years filed for bankruptcy protection.

Activists want to ensure the apes don't wind up homeless. Both were captured as babies in Sierra Leone in 1982 and smuggled to Austria for use in pharmaceutical experiments. Customs officers intercepted the shipment and turned the chimps over to the shelter.

Donors have offered to help with the upkeep costs, but under Austrian law, only a person can receive personal gifts.

Organizers could set up a foundation to collect cash for Pan, whose life expectancy in captivity is about 60 years. But they argue only personhood will ensure he isn't sold to someone outside Austria, where he's protected by strict animal cruelty laws.



SKorea court to rule on probe into president
International | 2008/01/08 06:55
The Constitutional Court will issue a ruling this week on whether the scheduled special investigation into President-elect Lee Myung-bak's alleged involvement in a 2001 financial scam is unconstitutional or not.

President Roh Moo-hyun appointed Chung Ho-young, a former chief of the Seoul High Court, as special counsel Monday to lead the probe of the President-elect. But the launch of an investigation, which is expected to start Jan. 14, depends on the court's ruling.

Chung, 60, currently serves as a lawyer for the Seoul-based law firm, Bae, Kim & Lee LLC.

Under a special bill initiated by the pro-government United New Democratic Party (UNDP) and approved by the National Assembly last month, Chung is to conduct an investigation into allegations of the alleged past misdeeds of Lee until shortly before his inauguration on Feb. 25.

Hours after the appointment, the Ministry of Justice submitted its opinion to the Constitutional Court that the law on special investigation of Lee contained unconstitutional clauses.

But the Supreme Court, which was also asked to submit am opinion on the probe, has declines to do so, court officials said, citing possible conflicts of interest.

Last week, six plaintiffs, including the President-elect's brother and brother-in-law, filed a petition with the Constitutional Court, claiming that the scope of the law contravenes the Constitution.

Two days before his election on Dec. 19, the prosecution cleared the CEO-turned presidential candidate of any wrongdoing, but pro-government and minor opposition party lawmakers passed a bill requiring an independent investigation into the allegations.

The Justice Ministry said that the law goes against the Constitution, which bans multiple investigations into the same allegations against a suspect.

It also said the law, which empowers the chief judge of the Supreme Court to name a special prosecutor, could be unconstitutional, citing the principle of the separation of power between the judiciary and the prosecution.

Constitutional Court officials said no schedule for a verdict has been fixed yet. ``But considering the urgency of the issue, we have decided to issue a ruling as early as possible,'' an official said.

Cheong Wa Dae downplayed the ministry's petition. ``Is there any past case that the Justice Ministry supported a special probe? Some critics have always called the planned special probe unconstitutional,'' Roh's spokesman Cheon Ho-seon said.

Asked about the next move of the presidential office under a possible ruling of ``unconstitutional,'' the spokesman said, ``We will state our official position if the court declares it to be so.''

Cheon added that the presidential office's internal belief was that the investigation was legitimate.


[PREV] [1] ..[28][29][30][31][32][33][34][35][36].. [72] [NEXT]
All
Class Action
Bankruptcy
Biotech
Breaking Legal News
Business
Corporate Governance
Court Watch
Criminal Law
Health Care
Human Rights
Insurance
Intellectual Property
Labor & Employment
Law Center
Law Promo News
Legal Business
Legal Marketing
Litigation
Medical Malpractice
Mergers & Acquisitions
Political and Legal
Politics
Practice Focuses
Securities
Elite Lawyers
Tax
Featured Law Firms
Tort Reform
Venture Business News
World Business News
Law Firm News
Attorneys in the News
Events and Seminars
Environmental
Legal Careers News
Patent Law
Consumer Rights
International
Legal Spotlight
Current Cases
State Class Actions
Federal Class Actions
Court asked to review Texas ..
Judge refuses to block Trump..
David Crowley wins Democrati..
A pillar of environmental en..
25 states sue over Trump’s ..
Small businesses file lawsui..
US bans foreign-made humanoi..
The U.S. government can cont..
EU hits Google with $1 billi..
Trump fires new US attorney ..
Lawmakers cast doubt on Kath..
Appeals court ends a decades..
New York Times reporters are..
Former mayor of Mississippi'..
Former NBA star Malik Beasle..


Class action or a representative action is a form of lawsuit in which a large group of people collectively bring a claim to court and/or in which a class of defendants is being sued. This form of collective lawsuit originated in the United States and is still predominantly a U.S. phenomenon, at least the U.S. variant of it. In the United States federal courts, class actions are governed by Federal Rules of Civil Procedure Rule. Since 1938, many states have adopted rules similar to the FRCP. However, some states like California have civil procedure systems which deviate significantly from the federal rules; the California Codes provide for four separate types of class actions. As a result, there are two separate treatises devoted solely to the complex topic of California class actions. Some states, such as Virginia, do not provide for any class actions, while others, such as New York, limit the types of claims that may be brought as class actions. They can construct your law firm a brand new website and help you redesign your existing law firm site to secure your place in the internet.
Lorain Elyria Divorce Lawyer
www.loraindivorceattorney.com
Car Accident Lawyers
Sunnyvale, CA Personal Injury Attorney
www.esrajunglaw.com
East Greenwich Family Law Attorney
Divorce Lawyer - Erica S. Janton
www.jantonfamilylaw.com/about
Los Angeles Police Misconduct
Civil Rights Lawyers
www.mcmurrayhenriks.com
Rosemead, CA
Real Estate Litigation Lawyer
www.kigrosslaw.com
  Law Firm Directory
 
 
 
© ClassActionTimes.com. All rights reserved.

The content contained on the web site has been prepared by Class Action Times as a service to the internet community and is not intended to constitute legal advice or a substitute for consultation with a licensed legal professional in a particular case or circumstance. Affordable Law Firm Web Design